scuba diving with dolphins
  1. Scuba diving with dolphins. I lived in Egypt for a year a while ago and still visit often. I meet family and friends and we enjoy the beach, sea, and underwater world together. And scuba diving with dolphins? Takes the cake: peaceful & exciting at the same time!
  2. Birthday picnic on the Champ de Mars in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris with baguette & tartlette aux fraises (curtesy of my amazing boyfriend).
  3. Winter in Germany. Visiting home is always fun! Especially when I get to combine visiting friends, family, having Gluehwein in front of the cathedral in Cologne at the Weihnachtsmarkt, and walking home in the snow.
  4. Road trips in my new home, Texas. One that stands out? Listening to the symphony in Zilker Park and watching fireworks over Austin on the 4th of July.
  5. Visiting the Christmas market on Piazza Navona in Rome on December 31st as a warm-up for the New Year’s party later.
  6. Discovering Boston with Marco: walking until our feet hurt, whale watching, eating in the North End, and much more.
  7. Skiing in Santa Fe: the view from the Sangre de Cristo mountains combined with awesome powder in priceless!
  8. Having dozens of Chinese taking pictures of us while we are trying to take pictures standing on the Great Wall of China.
  9. Taking long walks on the beach in Brittany in winter.
  10. Visiting Macau for my 30th birthday: Portuguese & Chinese cultures are a fascinating mix.

This post has been entered into the Grantourismo HomeAway Holiday-Rentals travel blogging competition.

• Ryan says:

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Boston! Did you hit any of the pastry shops in the North End? Yum!

I loved Boston! It was a great trip. Marco lived there for a while a few years ago and showed me some of his favorite spots (like Copley Square and that area), we tried out some new stuff (like the whale watching and the Duck tours) and ate so much good food. And yes, I loved the pastry in the North End! We went to Mike’s pastry and had the hardest time deciding what all to eat :) I loved their canoli! Are you from Boston?

• Ryan says:

Hi Sabrina,

I’m actually from the South Shore. I live about 40 mins south of Boston in a town called Bridgewater but I know the city of Boston very well. Great to see that it was a highlight on your top travel memories. Mike’s! You hit the right place… The cannoli’s are to die for!

I think we went to Mike’s for seconds a day later :) That’s how much we liked it! Overall the food in Boston was delicious I have to say. I really want to go back and see more of the area in general. Rent a car and venture out a little. Maybe in the future…

Wonderful list, very diverse! Scuba diving with dolphins is one of my most memorable travel moments as well. I still haven’t made it to Cologne yet, but definitely plan to.

Thanks Laurel! I still remember how freaking lucky I fely when I saw that group of dolphins come over right after we jumped in and were at 20 meters or so. I really couldn’t believe my luck when they stayed for 15-20 minutes and just kept swimming around us. Such beautiful creatures! Do try Cologne around Christmas. There are gorgeous Christmas markets there. And once you get fed up with Gluehwein, you can switch to Koelsch ;)

I didn’t realize that they do Christmas Markets all the way south in Rome. I guess it is just because I have always spent time here in the winter, but I associate them with Germanic countries, not latin ones.

It’s really nice actually. They sell food, scarves, Christmas decorations, etc. and it’s really pretty in the eveninig with the fountain and the obelisk in the middle and the buildings around all lit up. But it’s not quite like the German Christmas markets: no Gluehwein etc. :( And the timing is different. Whereas the ones in germany stop right before Christmas, this one in Rome goes until January 6th I think, the day after the Befana (witch that brings gifts) comes. And accordingly, you can many little befanas everywhere in the market. Really cute!

• LOVE LOVE LOVE #1! how very cool! good luck…

• Nicole says:

Love #8. I experienced the same! Good luck int he competition! :)

Thanks! Same to you! I thought it was so surreal people found us (temporarily) more fascinating that that amazing monument :)

• lara dunston says:

Hi – thanks for entering our February Grantourismo-HomeAway Holiday-Rentals travel blogging competition! Just letting you know that the winners will be announced today!

• Skiing with dolphin — wow, that would be right at the top of my top 10 list of travel moments as well.

You mean scuba diving? If so, yes, it’s beautiful!! Give the Red Sea a shot on your RTW and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you get lucky!!