This week I learned one of the meanest things you can say about somebody in Texas and thought I’d share. It fits right into my new series, Only in Texas. Brace yourselves…. Here it comes: “She’s no better than she should be.” Doesn’t sound all that horrible, does it? Ha! That’s because you don’t know what all it implies. It pretty much means that you come from a horrible family- which could be poor or from a bad part of town or your parents could be uneducated people or… the possibilities are endless. And since your family is so bad, it’s no wonder that you turned out like crap as well. That’s what it means. Apparently it is used for example for these carefree kind of women who… wait for it… don’t keep a good house. Oh, oh, another one of those bad, bad things you can say about people you want to diss around here 🙂

Want more Texas stuff? Check out these religious billboards that kicked of Only in Texas in case you missed it earlier this week.

Eugene_de_Blaas_The_Friendly_Gossips

The Friendly Gossips - via Wikimedia Commons

© 2011 – 2017, Country Skipper. All rights reserved.

I don’t know if they do it in Texas, but one of the Southern things is to insult someone followed by “Bless her heart”, which makes it all ok. “She is not the brightest bulb, bless her heart.” It is used by the gossips to insult without upsetting the social niceties.
    Andrew recently posted..London Expat Experience

That’s one of my favorites actually 🙂 You have to say “bless her heart” and then you can say the meanest thing about somebody and it’s ok somehow. Crazy world! I alos like the fun variation of “bless her little heart”. That’s even more belitteling…

• Fun series! After spending these last few weeks in Texas, I’m sure we’ve only hit the tip of the iceberg with this state. Most of that time was in Austin, though, so I think we got lucky. 😛
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..5 Quirky Reasons We’ve Fallen in Love with Austin

I’m in West Texas actually and I’m pretty sure Austin is a little different 🙂 It’s one of my favorite getwaways in Texas. So much to do and such a fun atmosphere! I love your post about Austin by the way. It really highlights the quirkiness perfectly.

• Steve says:

This is one of those things you could hear someone say and it wouldn’t appear to be an insult. After you explained it thought, I can see why it would be.
    Steve recently posted..Are You Afraid to Do Things Alone

That’s what I thought too 🙂 It really doesn’t sound all that bad… until you know what people mean when they say it.

I’ve never heard this before, guess we don’t have the same saying in Canada, but it really doesn’t sound bad at all, until you know what it means. No wonder foreign languages are so difficult to learn with these kind of subtleties.
    Laurel recently posted..Roman Limes Museum in Aalen- Germany

• Ali says:

I was totally going to mention the “bless her heart” phrase Andy mentioned above. I hear that one all the time, which sounds nice on the surface but really means “she’s an idiot” or some variation of that. The southern US really is like a separate country sometimes.
    Ali recently posted..Adventures in Flight Booking

I know! It’s kind of crazy. Sounds so innocent and is really an excuse to say whatever bitchy things you can come up with after. Crazy world!