Skiing in Santa Fe

June 30, 2011

It is getting hotter and hotter in Texas and instead of dreaming of laying at the pool or being at the beach, today I started thinking about skiing of all things. So, it’s only fitting that my submission for Travel Photo Thursday would come from a trip we did back in March when we went skiing in Santa Fe. That mountain is so much fun! The photo below was actually taken on one of my favorite slopes there, Muerte. Sounds much worse than it is, believe me πŸ™‚

skiing in Santa Fe

• How do the Santa Fe skiing mountains compare to those of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana? I’ve never even considered Santa Fe as a ski destination.

When I think of skiing, I would never think of Santa Fe for some reason, but it looks like there’s a lot of snow here.

• I’m with you Laurel — Sante Fe does not jump to the top of my mind for a ski destination. πŸ™‚

It’s true, you guys, the whole Southwest really doesn’t come to mind when thinking about skiing. I only started learning about the different resorts in New Mexico when I moved to Texas since they are really the only ones we can reach by car from here. I was surprised at how good the skiing can be there though! But the weather makes a huge difference (more than in other areas). Warm weather = no/bad snow to a point where skiing is pretty much impossible.

• Vi says:

It looks like it was very windy.

It was! At least when Marco took the shot. The wind just started blowing some of the snow up the mountain and created this effect.

• Sophie says:

Like the two above, I’ve never thought of Santa Fe for slalom. What a fun photo; almost looks like water.

I know, most people think of Santa Fe as hot instead of covered in snow πŸ™‚ But you know, the snow really isn’t down in the city of Santa Fe. You have to drive up the mountain for about half an hour before seeing any snow (most of the year at least). It’s kind of weird. The first time I went, I was kind of scared because down there it was warm and not a single snow flake in sight. When we got to the top, we saw that the whole mountain was actually covered.

• Very interesting photo! Guess you’ll have to travel to cooler weather during the summer months.

I’m thinking about it, but flights are crazy expensive right now, so we’re stuck in the Texas heat… until our trip to Europe in August πŸ™‚

• Katherina says:

What a scary name for a skiing slope… I’m not sure I would dare! Loved the picture by the way!

Thanks! Oh, the name is much more intimidating than the slope itself πŸ™‚ It’s a little steeper than the other slopes, but there’s no moguls or anything. Very doable!

• Leigh says:

I hear the skiing can be really hit & miss in New Mexico but when it’s good it’s really good. Altitude is always an issue for people in NM – but would love to try it. Looks like an icy day of skiing.

You’re so right! It can totally be hit or miss… the first few times I kind of just booked and went. Now I only book last minute AFTER checking how much snow the mountain has at that moment. I’ve been to Ruidoso before when there was barely any snow and it was miserable. Lesson learned. But when there is snow, it can be really awesome! Ice on that day was just a little, not too bad. That slope is kind of high up and hadn’t gotten much sun yet that day.

Regarding altitude… yes, it can definitely be an issue. I would for sure recommend getting to Santa Fe a day earlier and just hanging out and letting your body adapt before heading to the mountain the next day. Santa Fe is already pretty high (about 7,000 feet) and the skiing starts at 10,000 feet I think. You can really tell that the air is thinner. When getting out of the car to walk to the lifts I usually am out of breath fairly quickly until I adapt πŸ™‚

• RyukyuMike says:

Same here, I’d have never known you could ski in New Mexico !

Yes, not really known for that πŸ™‚ But some mountains, like Santa Fe and Taos, and really fun for skiing!

• Very different kind of shot — I like it. Actually, I think people are still skiing at some resorts around Lake Tahoe. Pretty wild, this weather!

Thanks πŸ™‚ Yes, it is not your regular skiing shot, is it? I loved it though when Marco showed me because of the focus on the snow and the wind.

• I agree with everyone else, I never knew there was skiing in New Mexico! Very cool!

Yes, they try to open the mountains around Thanksgiving and keep them open until the first weekend in April. I’ve been in some years though when there was very little snow and the skiing was so bad, we actually did some hiking the next day instead. But in good years, it’s awesome. I’d say your chances for good snow are best in February and March – but even then I know check how many slopes are open etc. before booking.

• jade says:

okay- the name is kind of awesome!

• Denise says:

The muerte???? I’m just not so keen on snow. It’s very pretty to look at, but I feel no wish to plunge myself into it!

Denise
    Denise recently posted..8 Things to do in Budapest: Bathe, Bathe, Bathe in Thermal water

Really? And you’re in “skiing central” in Switzerland πŸ™‚ I love skiing! It makes me totally happy. Muerte sounds worse than it is πŸ˜‰ It’s actually one of my favorite slopes in Santa Fe.

• Nancie says:

Gorgeous shot Sabina. I’m not a skier, but I do love the beauty of the slopes.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday, July 14, 2011– “The Dingle”, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada