Chestnut Animal

via Wikimedia Commons

It’s October and in Texas (probably in the US) that means pumpkins are everywhere. This is not a tradition we have in Germany – in fact, I’m not even sure I ever ate pumpkin before I moved to the US. We don’t carve pumpkins for Halloween because it doesn’t really exist – well, nowadays it’s kind of swapped over the pond, but when I was growing up I was making Kastanienmännchen in the fall – little men, women, and animals made of chestnuts and matches.

Jack-O'-LanternsSince I’ve been living in Texas for a while now, I have started associating colder weather with pumpkins instead of fall foliage and chestnuts. Last year, we had some friends over and carved Jack-O’-Lanterns while roasting pumpkin seeds in the oven. So much fun! The year before that I was in Dallas for a conference and met up with a friend at the Dallas Arboretum (www.dallasarboretum.org). It’s a beautiful park overlooking a lake where you can stroll through different kinds of gardens. We had a great time catching up and enjoyed the flowers, trees, and the view over the lake. I don’t know if it’s a permanent exhibit, but they also had a pirate ship and the house of the witch that kidnapped Hänsel and Gretel (super famous story by the brothers Grimm). One of my favorite areas was the little garden that had a tiny little river and mist coming up from it. Super pretty! And since it was October, the Dallas Arboretum had a huge Pumpkin Village as their seasonal exhibit. There were pumpkins in every form and color you can imagine everywhere lining the paths of the village. They even had a house made of pumpkins! How cool is that?! Ok, ok, I’m a dork, but still, it’s pretty cool, right? So, if you find yourself looking for things to do in Dallas during October, head over to the Dallas Arboretum. I’m sure it’s one of the bigger October events in Dallas!

I’ve actually never been to the small arboretum here in town. For some reason, I tend to do these kind of things only when I travel. However, yesterday I heard on the local news that the Lubbock Memorial Arboretum is hosting a pumpkin trail this weekend. It reminded me of how fun our visit to the Dallas Arboretum was and now I am thinking about heading over there sometime this weekend. Maybe it’ll be really small and not fun at all, but I’ll never know if I don’t try, right? In the meantime, enjoy some pics of the Dallas Arboretum below 🙂

Dallas Arboretum: view over the lake

Dallas Arboretum: pretty flowers

Dallas Arboretum

Dallas Arboretum: pirate ship

Dallas Arboretum: Hansel and Gretel House

Dallas Arboretum: Hansel and Gretel House

Pumpkins Everywhere: Pumpkin Village in the Dallas Arboretum

Pumpkins Everywhere: Pumpkin Village in the Dallas Arboretum

The Arboretum is gorgeous in the fall! They do a pumpkin thing every year but I never go, too many kids for my taste 🙂
    Ana recently posted..5 fun facts about Texas

I understand 🙂 It can get sooooo loud! And to be honest – we kind of stayed at the more empty path and looked at the Pumpkin Village from further away – didn’t wanna stay in line with all the families to take pictures in the house.Too many people!

The most fun thing to do with pumpkins is to build a catapult and smash them. My high school Octobers are defined by that activity. Oh, and the pumpkin guts make for great practical jokes.

R. Sherman recently posted..Yeeeesssssss!

I’ve never heard of that 🙂 But I can only imagine how much fun teenagers have with catapults and pumpkins 🙂

• I missed the local Halloween activities this year. The only tradition Buenos Aires seems to have adopted is the costume party with lots of drinking 🙂
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Halloween Photo Fun with Foto-Ruta

That’s all you really need, isn’t it? 🙂 We didn’t actually go to one this year – and I think that was first time we didn’t. So much fun usually! This year we just had some friends over and had dinner and carved some pumpkins.

I never would have guessed it was Fall from looking at your photos, except for the one with the pumpkins, love the pumpkin house. Did you know the world’s largest pumpkin festival is in Ludwigsburg, Germany with over 400,000 pumpkins? Strange when pumpkins and Halloween are not popular in Germany.
    Laurel recently posted..Schloss Ludwigsburg: My Favorite Castle Tour in Germany

I know, the blue sky here is amazing, isn’t it? I loved your post about that festival and was very surprised that the biggest pumpkin festival is in Germany out of all places. Growing up around Cologne, I barely remember seeing a single pumpkin in the stores 🙂