When Adam chose this month’s topic for our Blogger Stammtisch green spaces and parks, I actually laughed out loud. Why? Because green spaces are probably what I miss most from Germany (of course except for people). I mean yes, some German foods, drinks you can only find in Germany, … all that sometimes makes me miss my home country. But green spaces and parks? They barely exist here in the dry South Plains. There’s a park I run in here in Lubbock sometimes and it’s really only green a few months in spring and a few months in the fall.

But what’s even more different than the lack of green spaces is the attitude toward being outside. You see, in Germany the weather can be pretty bad and it can be overcast a lot. So when the sun comes out, everybody flocks outside. The moment it gets warms enough (even if barely so), us Germans tend to make the most of it. Cafés put their tables and chairs outside, restaurants serve food on their patios or anywhere they can fit a few tables really, and everybody wants to sit outside. I love that time of the year! When I first moved to sunny West Texas, I couldn’t believe that the weather was almost always sunny and warm. I mean, every morning I would wake up and open the door and be happy about the blue sky. I started taking it for granted and now I get kind of moody when it rains for more than two, three days. Anyways, when I first moved here, people would suggest to eat out or go out for a drink and I couldn’t understand why there were so few places to sit outside. Why would people NOT want to sit outside when it’s warm/hot, sunny, and the sky is blue? I still don’t get it and tend to prefer restaurants that have a patio and bars that serve drinks outside, but I’ve gotten over my initial shock of people preferring air conditioned rooms. I’m also happier with less green…. It rains so little here that things can’t really be green. When I discovered that the new Chipotle in town had an area where you can eat your burritos and tacos outside I was so happy – despite the fact that you basically sit in a fenced in area that’s between the restaurant and the parking not. Who cares? It’s outside! And it’s sunny here 🙂

I just have to imagine some of the pretty German scenery or a proper Biergarten…

Lakes in Germany: Aggertalsperre

Bocksmühle Biergarten

Alterkuelz biergarten

Frosch vor dem Straßencafe einer Eisdiele Laupheim

Check out some of the other Blogger Stammtisch members’ musings on green spaces and parks here:

And for next month’s Blogger Stammtisch, look out for football/soccer-themed posts.

© 2012, Country Skipper. All rights reserved.

I can completely understand why you miss beer gardens. I love the beer garden culture in Germany and how they bring everyone together regardless of your social status.
    Laurel recently posted..English Garden: Munich’s Playground & Sanctuary

So true! And I love that most people go there to have a drink and enjoy the warm weather and not with the express purpose of getting drunk.

You’re just living in the wrong place. If you relocated farther north, you’d find more green open space and more people outside.

BTW, my favorite Regensburg Biergarten sits under a grove of huge Linden trees on an island in the Danube. Great views of the old city and Gothic cathedral.

R. Sherman recently posted..A PSA

That one sounds beautiful! Views of a cathedral are hard to beat. I would love to visit some more places up north. I do love the weather down here in Texas though. Can’t have everything…

• I think that most people in Texas just avoid the outside spaces because it gets hot and dusty (I only say that since I’m from there). In south Florida there are usually a lot more people outside, partially because they love watching the people. South Beach & Naples (two areas we frequent often) have lots of restaurants with outdoor (or at least partially outdoor) seating. Maybe it’s the more beach-feel of those places that encourages it…
    Tiffany @ No Ordinary Homestead recently posted..10 Home Design Concepts I Love From Our Recent Hotel Stay

You have a point. In the middle of summer it gets too hot even for my taste sometimes. And the outside spaces that do exist just aren’t all that pretty…

North Carolina had the hot and muggy summers to avoid too. It was definitely greener, but just in general, not in the sitting-park style. The climate does seem to affect architecture a lot. Add to that the transport issue. For every nice park to sit in, you need a parking lot nearby. Tis an unfortunate aspect of reality in the US.
    New York City has some really nice parks and people use them like crazy. Probably for the same reason they are so popular in Germany. The weather is often nasty and public transport helps people get there and back.
    Andrew recently posted..Biergartens – From Practical to Cultural

Luckily it doesn’t get muggy here in west Texas, just very, very hot. I hadn’t thought about the parking issue…

• Lisa says:

I think we appreciate sunny, warm weather more when we don’t get quite so much of it. Canadians start to sit outside as early as possible in the spring too – we crave the warm sunshine after winter!
    Lisa recently posted..Mother’s Day

• Mmmmm yeah, it looks nothing like Lubbock, does it? 🙂
    Ana (Ana Travels) recently posted..Palacio de las Aguas Corrientes (aka the toilet museum)

• Leah Travels says:

I love a good beer garden! When I was at Tech, there was the Depot Beer Garden. Is that still there? Oh, I loved that place.
    Leah Travels recently posted..Chicago: My Kind of Welcome

I’m not sure if it’s still there. We went years ago with a few friends and it wasn’t bad, but I have to admit… the word “Biergarten” conjured imaged of green and grass and nature for me…. and when we arrived there was a lot of cement, iron fences, and zero green. I still liked that it was outside though 🙂

• I’m with you, I prefer dining outside! Learned that from my first trip to Germany many years ago. I do think we get spoiled living in Sunny locations so we don’t appreciate the warm sun as much. I will always remember the Londoners sunbathing in Hyde park in their underwear!
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..Catalonia – Spain’s Best Kept Secret?

In underwear? Nice 🙂 But you’re right, living in sunny locations makes you take good weather for granted. I remember when we did a trip to Austin a few years ago and I woke up and opened the curtains and saw only overcast sky. It put me in a bad mood right away, because I had expected it to be blue – like always 😉

• I agree with you sitting outside with that scenery makes me happy with fresh air and enjoy the sun. As of now I am still adjusting my surrounding but love to sit outside and eat, it happens very seldom in my States, its hot and humid outside.;)
    Mhie@ travelentz recently posted..Glimpse of the Historic Rail Park and Train Museum

Hope the summer will allow for lots of outdoor activity for you 🙂 It’s beautiful when the sun shines!

• Spencer says:

You can’t beat a happy afternoon in a beer garden!
    Spencer recently posted..Great Hotels of the World #5 – The Clarence Hotel, Dublin

• Adam says:

It’s not surprising at all that you’d miss the green spaces in Germany! This wasn’t one of the things I was familiar with regarding German culture, but it’s something I’m really happy to see. Parks are such a big part of life here – I love it!

1 Trackback or Pingback