When we were in Guangzhou this winter, there was a new tourist attraction in town that we absolutely had to check out: the Guangzhou Canton Tower. It’s located in southeast Guangzhou right at the Pearl river.
Before we got to the Canton Tower, all I knew is that it is one of the tallest towers in the world. There are many more details on the Canton Tower official website, but here are a few fun facts:
- It’s the second tallest TV tower in the world and the fourth tallest freestanding structure in the world.
- The building work started in 2005 and was completed in 2010.
- There is a big viewing platform all around the tower at 428 meters. There’s also a sky walk where you stand on glass and see hundreds of meters below you.
- They are building a Ferris wheel and a shoot at the top of the tower (sort of like at the Stratosphere in Las Vegas I imagine).
- They use all sorts of different lights to make the tower look even cooler at night. I would definitely recommend going after dark.
Check out Travel Photo Thursday for more travel pics from around the world.
© 2012, Country Skipper. All rights reserved.