When I was in Galveston last year on one of my little Texas weekend getaways, I found out there was more to do in this Texas town that I thought. We spent quite a bit of time exploring the Galveston beaches (and an amazing pool because we didn’t dare go in the Gulf). I also got to see another part of Galveston: the Strand. I got a good deal for one of the fancier hotels there with a pretty view of the cruise port and part of the city. Too bad the rooftop bar was closed! That would have been a fun evening. Instead we walked around, bought delicious salt water taffy, ate ice cream, found cute souvenirs (I still have a pretty bottle opener in the form of a fish on my fridge), and as usual, managed to find some foreign food 🙂 This time I zeroed in on a Greek place close to the water and had a really tasty Gyros after heading out for a dolphin watch tour. The tour itself was kind of disappointing because the dolphins stayed really far away. I did enjoy seeing all the pelicans hanging out by the piers as we were heading out of the harbor though. Well, and it was kind of fun to see all the birds decending close to a fishing boat. Combine that with more walks at the beach, and overall Galveston turned out as a fun Texas weekend getaway!

Check out some of my pics below and head over to Travel Photo Thursday for more travel pics from around the world.

Texas Weekend Getaway: Galveston

© 2012, Country Skipper. All rights reserved.

• You found my favorite old fashion candy store on The Strand! I love wandering around that area. I thought about heading down to Galveston to check out the new Pleasure Pier but ran out of time. I’ve just finished reading Isaac’s Storm by Erik Larson about the 1900 Hurricane. Being familiar with the area really brought the story to life.
    Michele @ Malaysian Meanders recently posted..Bad Manners at the Airport

Really? How neat! I loved that store. It was so old-fashioned and everything looked so delicious. And the guys behind the counter cracked me up 🙂 We drove through some more remote areas on the island and the destruction of the latest hurricane was still so apparent. I can only imagine how much livelier things were before then…

• Jessica says:

As many times as I have been to Galveston, I have never seen the Strand. The taffy is fantastic, though. Someone brought me some from there recently and I got a little taste before my kids ate it all up.

Maybe it was from the same store 🙂 It was the first time I ever had salt water taffy and I loved every bite of it.

• We spent a weekend in Galveston a couple of years ago. We stayed in a Victorian B&B that was closing that month, such a pity!
    Ana (Ana Travels) recently posted..I wish I were in …

• Jackie Smith says:

Thanks for introducing me to a new place. . .that of course has gone on the bucket list! Fun photos, too.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..TPThursday: Do you ‘Capture the Colours’ or Clichés?

Haha! My bucket list keeps getting longer and longer…. and the getting longer has gotten faster since reading everybody’s fun posts 🙂

• Leah Travels says:

I love Galveston and the Strand. I was just there a few weeks ago, but it had been before the hurricane that I visited. Everything looks fantastic, as do your pictures.
    Leah Travels recently posted..Travel Through the Eyes of a First-Time Flyer

• I’ve never been to Galveston or the coast of Texas. I can imagine it would be very fun and warm! There is a store in Fisherman’s Wharf with bins of salt water taffy that looks just like the picture you included. I can hear Glen Campbell singing Galveston.
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..Munich – My Olympic Adventure

I don’t even think I know that song. Gotta check it out! The coast of Texas has some really pretty parts to it. as I mentioned in the beach post a while back, I’m not a huge fan of the sea there, so for beach vacation I would go somewhere else. But it is warm in Galveston and we found some really neat corners there, so overall a great getaway!

• Nancie says:

I’ve never been to Texas. Your photo tour does make Galveston look very appealing. Whenever I think of this city Glen Campbell comes to mind 🙂
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — July 26, 2012 — Beating the Heat in Budapest.

There are corners that are less appealing too 🙂 But overall, we found some pretty fun places. That candy store was one of my favorites. Debbie mentioned that song as well. Gotta go find it…

• This is certainly not the image I have of Galveston! Thanks for showing me the other side.
    The salt water taffy brought back memories of summers in Atlantic City, NJ.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..New York City: Library Way

Well, there is also a huge cruise port and much poorer and dirtier parts to the island. The Strand was one of my favorite areas!

• I know I’m ageing myself, but the only way I knew of Galveston before seeing your photos was through Glen Campbell’s song too! It looks interesting…maybe one day I’ll get there
    jenny@atasteoftravel recently posted..What to do in New York

• What a cute little beach town. We’ve thought of taking a cruise from Galveston and this looks like such an interesting area to explore. Love those salt water taffy. I think they’re a staple in many beachtowns. Looks like a fun weekend.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Photo Post: Capture the Color

They are? Gotta keep my eyes open then. These were so tasty! If you were to take a cruise from there, I’d definitly arrive a night or so early and go epxloring 🙂

• Mike says:

My wife and I lived in Galveston for two years, when we first got married thirty four years ago. They have a festival on the Strand in December each year, called “Dickens on the Strand” and people dress up from that period. They also have a Mardi Gras celebration on the island annually and my wife and I were fortunate enough to ride a float in the first parade. The candy shop “Kings Candy” has been in operation for many , many years. We loved all the old architecture, shotgun houses, etc and participated as docents each year in the “Old Homes Tour”. Ha! They are all old! Many fond memories. Thanks for sparking the thoughts!

Thank you for sharing your memories!! I had heard of the Mardi Gras celebration, but had no idea there was also a “Dickens on the Strand” and an “Old Homes Tour”. Something to keep in mind when scheduling trips down there. Both sound like a lot of fun. I wonder how different Galveston is now compared to thirty years ago. I imagine it more full of live everywhere somehow.

• I’m hoping to take a side trip to Galveston next time I’m in Houston. Sounds and looks like fun. I’ll try to be there when the rooftop bar is open. The statue is very cool!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Wyoming Roundup

You should check out Galveston. Lots to see and do there! Try either the rooftop bar or one of the bars close to the beach. They looked pretty nice too – sort of close to the Hotel Galviz.

• TravelGal says:

The Strand looks great! Love that candy store and the rooftop lounge (I think that’s what the second to last picture is of).
    TravelGal recently posted..The Best Soaking Spots in the World

• I really like exploring coastal towns because the harbors are so fascinating. It’s fun looking at all the different types of boats, from luxury yachts to tankers!
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..The Castles of Ireland

I do too! I’m a sucker for the ocean… really any large body of water 🙂 The weird thing is… in Galveston I saw many cruiseships. I’m not sure if the harbpr for other boats is maybe in an area we didn’t see. Would be odd if they didn’t have one!

• I’ve been to Galveston, but only to leave for a cruise. We never even thought to explore the town. I guess we missed out.
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..Photo of the Week: Siena

• Kathy Vickery says:

I was born and raised on Galveston Island eighty years ago. I now live in Kingman, Arizona, but I still miss those sea breezes blowing and the smell of the sea. I’ll always have the beech sand between my toes. I can’t begin to tell you how many people I have talked to that told me, they came to Galveston and fell in love with it and moved there. We use to have an army base (” Fort Crockett “) there , and many of the young soldiers fell in love with Galveston young ladies and so, they too stayed there to raise there family.